Pages

Tuesday 26 July 2011

Piercing Little Kids Ears

As I arrived at school this afternoon to pickup the girls I was greeted by Leah exclaiming "I'm getting my ears pierced today!!!" Well, OK. News to me, but if you want, then that's cool. Abigail tentatively agreed to get hers done too - but reserved the right to change her mind.

We went to our local chemist as soon as we arrived home and Leah proudly announced she wanted her ears pierced and she was going to go first. All was going fine (after about 15mins of choosing just the right pair of earrings) until the first earring was in. Major meltdown time... Leah errupted and wanted the earring out and didn't want to get her other ear done, was crying and carrying on and was holding on to my arm so tightly that my fingers fell asleep!


While she was recovering from her meltdown, with me telling her she was not going home with only one ear pierced, Abigail got her ears done - one after the other, no crying, not even an "Ouch!" No problems - "That didn't hurt!" she proclaimed. Not to be outdone by her sister, Leah braced herself and quietly muttered "I'm ready" as she clinged desperately to me as her other ear was pierced. "That only hurt a little bit!" she announced loudly, causing us all to break out in laughter. I should mention that even when Leah was having her meltdown she had a massive grin on her face and stopped carrying on everytime we showed her the mirror...

Meltdowns over and ears pierced, the next 15mins or so was filled with the girls admiring themselves in the mirror and Leah chatting non-stop about getting her ears pierced, how it didn't hurt much, how brave she was and on and on - what a little drama queen! LOL! The walk home was slow - everyone along the way had to admire the girls' newly pierced ears and hear all about them just being pierced today. Lucky they are cute and the people around here are friendly and mostly parents of young kids!

The rest of the evening consisted of me getting them to listen to newly-pierced-ears-care-instructions, getting it through to them that they had to leave the earrings in for about 6 weeks so we weren't going on an earring-buying shopping spree right now, and assuring them that their earrings were not going to fall out. All the time they were admiring themselves in any reflective surface they came across - so cute!

3 comments:

  1. I suspect there are some very nice earrings in Castlemaine for me to buy them some time in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I had my ears pierced was by the man across the road from us (Mr Pearce funnily enough). He used an ice block to deaden them a bit, a needle, and a cork behind. One of them was a bit crooked. Years later I had that one redone with the gun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lynne - I'm sure there are! No letting them talk you into earrings this weekend... They have to keep their current earrings in for 6 weeks - so no temptation until the weekend of Sept 10th!

    @Di - Ouch!!!

    ReplyDelete