Pages

Tuesday 28 June 2011

Day 9 - Windows... will the updates never cease???

There was much excitement this morning when a parcel arrived at our house... Well, much excitement from me as the parcel was for me and contained my brand new laptop! YAY! So off I went, doing a minimum of chores as possible, so I could unpack my new toy and get it up and running.

Then Micro$oft interfered... slowly at first, but then with full force. All went smoothly (on the most part... Office was a bit stubborn...)  *until* it came time to patch the system. Yep, to run Windows Update. Now, there are always going to be updates regardless of how new the machine, that's just the way Microsoft works (or, can be argued, doesn't...)

So, 79 important updates and a few optionals.

"Fine - go for it!" I said.

"Nope, sorry. Can't install all 79 updates at the same time, but I didn't tell you that and I'm not going to tell you now which ones go with which!" said Windows.


Fine. Just dandy. Thanks Bill. Why didn't I buy a Mac, or better yet install Linux...

But I persisted. Cautiously installing 1 update at a time at first, and then a few at a time... and after about 7 hours (no exaggeration!) I had all the updates - important and optional - installed and had rebooted my laptop more times than a brand new laptop should be rebooted on its first outing...

And I'm an IT Consultant. Not an incompetent one either - incase you were starting to have doubts... So how do you non-IT types cope with your Windows PCs???

x

2 comments: