Pages

Monday 20 June 2011

Day 1 - Back to the Books

I have been fumbling around for ages now trying to figure out what I *really* want to do when I grow up. I really found myself at a loss and quite distressed - growing up I always knew exactly what I wanted to be. Of course, whatever it was could change on a daily basis... But at least there was *something* I knew I wanted to be.

Now, a thirty-something mum of two, who kept a vague contact with the IT industry through a bit of consulting work while being a stay-at-home mum, I am ready to get back to the workforce. The kids are both at school (prep & year 2 this year) so I have time to get back to 'me' - and 'me' wants to get back to working. "Use it or lose it" - as they say - is so very, very true.

I considered retraining and changing industries completely, or staying in IT but focusing in Project Management with a view to becoming a Program Manager. I was moving into PM work before I had the kids. But none of that was quite the right fit... In searches for courses and jobs ni the IT industry, network security occasionally popped up. That area sort of simmered in the back of my mind as I continued to research postgrad courses and career paths.

Then I started to look at security stuff - just a peek. I got more and more intrigued and more and more fascinated. Then forensics popped up. Bingo! I found my little niche in the world of computers. I found what I *really* wanted to do! So I'm officially back to studying security and working my way towards a career in forensics. And I'm having a ball!

It is so liberating; such a relief to *finally* figure out what I want to do when I grow up! And as a bonus I get a new laptop as my current one just can't keep up ;-)

x

No comments:

Post a Comment